Art in the Park, the annual juried outdoor exhibition of fine art and fine craft, is Lawrence’s premiere arts event and is sponsored by the Lawrence Art Guild. Featuring the highest quality work by many area artists and craftspeople, as well as continuous musical entertainment, food vendors, and family fun, Art in the Park typically attracts thousands of people. It is the Lawrence Art Guild’s primary fund-raising event.
Art in the Park is located in South Park, 12th & Massachusetts, at the south end of beautiful downtown Lawrence, and is always the first Sunday of May. The event is open to the public from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. (Rain cancellation will be announced that morning on KLWN 1320AM radio, the Lawrence Art Guild’s Facebook page (https://facebook.com/lawrenceartguildassociation) and at 785-338-6695 by 7:00 am.
The application period for Art in the Park has expired for this years' 2019 exhibit. We look forward to your application in 2020. Check back here at the beginning of the new year!
Eligibility: Art In the Park is open to any artist 18 or older who lives within a 200 mile radius of Lawrence, KS. Only original fine art and fine craft are eligible and must comprise the majority of the work to be displayed. Reproductions must be identified as such. Not eligible for entry are macramé, crochet, shell craft, mass-produced T- shirts, and any items made from commercial kits, molds or patterns. The Lawrence Art Guild reserves the right to refuse the display and sale of artwork that is not represented by submitted images, in which case the artist will be asked to leave the show without refund of submission or booth fees. Two-dimensional media that are eligible include graphics/printmaking, painting, digital, pastels, photography, and mixed media. Three-dimensional media that are eligible include ceramics, fiber, glass, jewelry, metal, sculpture, wood, and mixed media.
Submission fee for the show is $10.00
Entry Screening: Acceptance is based on artwork that exhibits originality, craftsmanship, imaginative use of materials, and aesthetic qualities. A screening committee will jury the overall suitability of artwork based on images submitted. The screening committee’s decisions are final.
Photos: All artists must submit four (4) good-quality images showing at least one work for each medium of art to be displayed, plus a drawing or photo of their booth set-up. Images may be submitted electronically with online application, or printed photographs with mailed application. Photographs must be of original art. Label images with your name, medium, and estimated dimensions.
Entry Deadline: Applications via Zapplication will accepted until 11:59 PM (CST on March 3, 2019). If you are unable to utilize the Zapplication website, please contact the Guild at firstname.lastname@example.org. Notification of acceptance status emailed by March 15th, 2019.
Guild members: $60.00
All booth spaces are 10×10. Additional booth space is same price as original booth space. Limited number of tables are available upon request (first come first serve).
Booth spaces are assigned in the order submissions are received. Volunteers for the Lawrence Art Guild are given priority consideration for booth assignment.
Artists may apply for Guild membership at the same time as entering by completing membership form along with the Art in the Park entry form.
Setup: Check-in begins at 7:00 am at the information table on the east side of the park. Artist may unload into booth space beginning at 6:00 am, but may set up only after checking in – no earlier! No electrical outlets, tents or display panels are available. Artists must be present with their work. It will not be acceptable to have someone work for you, except for breaks. Ignoring this rule will result in the artist being asked to leave the show without refund of entry fees. Artists are responsible for collecting sales tax (9.05%) on all items sold.
Checkout: Artists must check out at the Information table whether or not any artwork was sold. A 10% commission on sales will be collected by the Lawrence Art Guild, due at the end of the show. This 10% allows the Guild to make donations and grants to area artists and arts organizations, as well as pay for yearly expenses (advertising, honorarium fees) beyond that which the entry fees afford.
Cash Awards: Artists’ work will be judged on-site by a panel representing local artists and art organizations. Awards will be based on the overall quality of art displayed by each artist. Awards will be given for overall Best in Show, and 1st, 2nd and 3rd place awards. Amounts awarded are:
Best of Show: $500
1st Place (category): $300
2nd Place (category): $200
3rd Place (category): $100.
Honorable Mentions will also be awarded at the discretion of the judges but carry no monetary value.
Liability/Agreement: The Lawrence Art Guild and the City of Lawrence Parks and Recreation Department accept no responsibility for loss or damage to any artist’s work or display materials and structures exhibited at Art in the Park or photographs submitted for jurying. Submission of an entry constitutes permission to have one’s images used, or art photographed, for publicity purposes and constitutes agreement with all conditions set forth in this prospectus. Artists are encouraged to provide their own insurance for their artwork.
1. Booth spaces are assigned by the Lawrence Art Guild and are not interchangeable. Priority for booth assignments is given to re-invited artists. Remaining booth spaces are assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis depending upon when fees and contract paperwork are received.
2. Artists must be present during the entire event and must personally staff their booth space. It will not be acceptable to have someone work for you, except for breaks. Under no circumstances may agents, dealers or representatives attend the event in place of the artist.
3. Artists may show only work in categories and bodies of work approved by the jury. The Lawrence Art Guild reserves the right to refuse the display and sale of artwork that is not represented by submitted images, in which case the artist will be removed from the show without refund of any fees.
4. Artists must define “limited edition” through their Artist Statement and must disclose their process to the buyer. Original art must occupy more than 50% of the applicant’s booth space. Reproductions of 2-D work must clearly be labeled.
5. Ceramic works must be handcrafted/made by the artist. If multiple pieces of the same design are displayed, each must be signed.
6. Artist musts comply with all staff and uniformed security regarding site safety and regulations. Vehicles must be parked only in designated areas.
7. Art in the Park is a family-oriented event. Artwork intended for mature audiences will not be considered. On-site representatives will be enforcing this policy throughout the show.
8. All disputes that result in an artist being disqualified from appearing at the show WILL NOT RESULT IN A REFUND of the booth or jury fee, regardless if the disqualification arises before or after the show opens.